Search This Blog

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Obama on Immigration- Helping Millions or Breaking the Law?

"Immigration: Obama vs. Congress," by Patrcicia Smith was all about an executive order passed by Persident Obama that would allow relatives of US citizens to live and work in the United States, providing that they have paid any taxes they owe. This order would allow immigrants to stop living in constant fear of deportation and being taken away from their families. It would also allow immigrant parents to work to provide for their families. However, they would not be full citizens, because only Congress can give citizenship through a law, and Obama's order is highly controversial. Many Republicans and Democrats disagree with his decision, because they believe it was an unconstitutional abuse of his executive power. 

Obama's order is being opposed by many important and influential politicians, even though it has a lot of support from immigrants as well as American citizens from immigrant families. "By ignoring the will of the American people, President Obama has cemented his legacy of lawlessness and squandered what little credibility he had left," said John Boehner. Constitutionally, only Congress can make laws, but presidents have utilized the power of the executive order throughout history. However, as John Boehner stated, this decision is not winning Obama much popularity from either party. Though this act could better the lives of five million people, and the extra tax money wouldn't hurt. Many illegal immigrants living in America are taken advantage of, and often work for illegally low pay in illegally substandard conditions. This act would allow them to demand fair pay and safe working conditions without fear of deportation. 

Though many find Obama's use of power unconstitutional, I believe that it was for the better of our country and in the interest of our people. Congress has stalled and gridlocked and halted progress for too long, and if an executive order is the only way to actually make a change, I welcome it. Until Congress begins to cooperate with the president to make progress and compromise and negotiate to make changes, the President must use his power or else we will go nowhere. Despite controversy, I have high hopes for this law, and believe that it truly will change America for the better. 



1 comment:

  1. Nice response! As I have done the same article, I think you did a better job. I like how you stated what you thought and use the I voice to get your point through.

    ReplyDelete